Skip to main content

Canadians: Emily Carr 1871-1945




Carr's studio mid 1930's



Emily Carr 21 years old




Dear Mother Earth!
I think I have always
specially belonged to you.
I have loved from babyhood
to roll upon you, to lie with 
my face pressed right down
on to you in my sorrows.
I love the look of you and
the smell of you. When I die I
should like to be in you
unconfined, unshrouded,
the petals of flowers against
my flesh and you covering
me up.






Comments

lucy mink said…
really love her work, thanks for posting Paul
Paul Behnke said…
A friend of mine just turned me on to her work!
Norm said…
Just stumbled upon your blog having recently read an excellent novelisation of her life - The Forest Lover, by Susan Vreeland. I love Emily Carr's work, thank you for posting.
Paul Behnke said…
Norm, thanks for sharing the title of the book. I'll check it out!

Popular posts from this blog

Retrospective: Sylvester Stallone - Paintings 1975 - 2015

Sylvester Stallone, Untitled (Michael Jackson) , 2010 Real Love: Paintings 1975 - 2015 Opened on May 16th Musée d'Art Moderne et d'Art Contemporaine Place Yves Klein 06364 Nice cedex 4 For more information visit artnet news .

Franz Kline: In Color

Franz Kline (1910-1962) is often pigeonholed as a "black and white" painter. Above is a selection of work by the Ab-Ex master in which color merges with gesture and at times takes center stage.

The Painter Eva Hesse

The hell with them all. Paint yourself out, through and through, it will come by you alone. You must come to terms with your own work not with any other being. -Eva Hesse detail The Brooklyn Museum is currently showing Eva Hesse Spectres 1960 and some of the images included in this post will be on view. The exhibit offers an often overlooked aspect of the great sculptor's artistic output and shows her to be an interesting, formidable and influential painter. Read the NY Times article here . The exhibition will continue through January 8.