Skip to main content

Who Waits, Who Runs by Robin Stout


  Daido Moriyama, Stray Dog, Misawa, Aomori, 1971  


Robin Stout / Who Waits Who Runs

You say
I am too happy
to be a poet.

You, you ubiquitous
you.
Floating in and out,
in and out
of my poems
like clouds in a blue,
blue sky.

You say
my pain
is more frightened
lamb than wounded
lion.

That I am low
on ink.

And, besides
I don’t dress
right.

That’s what you know.

I am the guy on Atlantic
Avenue with apricot
hair.  I am
the swollen
river, the fifteen-
dollar sandwich.

I am the woman
in head-to-toe
black on a coral
street.
I am the car
stuck
in traffic.

I am the dog
who waits
who runs up
behind you
and sinks
yellow teeth
into the meatiest
part of your
thigh.




(c) Robin Stout 2011





Comments

Tim McFarlane said…
Ooh, nice piece. Tell Robin that I approve!
Paul Behnke said…
Thanks Tim, I will!
emily bell said…
That IS Robin. How can I read more of her work? Has she got a site?
This is so moving. The imagery is incredible.
Paul Behnke said…
Yes, I'm married to a talented writer!
Paul Behnke said…
And I love Moriyama's photographs!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Retrospective: Sylvester Stallone - Paintings 1975 - 2015

Sylvester Stallone, Untitled (Michael Jackson) , 2010 Real Love: Paintings 1975 - 2015 Opened on May 16th Musée d'Art Moderne et d'Art Contemporaine Place Yves Klein 06364 Nice cedex 4 For more information visit artnet news .

Franz Kline: In Color

Franz Kline (1910-1962) is often pigeonholed as a "black and white" painter. Above is a selection of work by the Ab-Ex master in which color merges with gesture and at times takes center stage.

The Painter Eva Hesse

The hell with them all. Paint yourself out, through and through, it will come by you alone. You must come to terms with your own work not with any other being. -Eva Hesse detail The Brooklyn Museum is currently showing Eva Hesse Spectres 1960 and some of the images included in this post will be on view. The exhibit offers an often overlooked aspect of the great sculptor's artistic output and shows her to be an interesting, formidable and influential painter. Read the NY Times article here . The exhibition will continue through January 8.