Skip to main content

Rothko: Red @ The Suzanne Roberts Theatre








I paint very large pictures. I realize that historically the function of painting large pictures is painting something very grandiose and pompous. The reason I paint them, however – I think it applies to other painters I know – is precisely because I want to be very intimate and human. To paint a small picture is to place yourself outside your experience. However you paint the larger picture, you are in it.









Presented by the Philadelphia Theatre Company @ the Suzanne Roberts Theatre.
Broad and Lombard Streets
Philadelphia, PA
Through November 13.
For information: 215-985-0420


Comments

Jeffrey Collins said…
His ideas of being IN the painting are so true. I can't tell you how many times I have felt like a painting was overpowering me when it was larger than I. But I felt a distinct difference in the smaller works.
ts said…
thanks so much for the groupings of Rothko. the quote is great,too. I love to see a room full of rothkos.

http://thinkvisual.wordpress.com/2011/02/16/postcardc-1-11-the-one-and-only-national-gallery-east-wing/

your blog captures that in spirit

Popular posts from this blog

Retrospective: Sylvester Stallone - Paintings 1975 - 2015

Sylvester Stallone, Untitled (Michael Jackson) , 2010 Real Love: Paintings 1975 - 2015 Opened on May 16th Musée d'Art Moderne et d'Art Contemporaine Place Yves Klein 06364 Nice cedex 4 For more information visit artnet news .

Franz Kline: In Color

Franz Kline (1910-1962) is often pigeonholed as a "black and white" painter. Above is a selection of work by the Ab-Ex master in which color merges with gesture and at times takes center stage.

The Painter Eva Hesse

The hell with them all. Paint yourself out, through and through, it will come by you alone. You must come to terms with your own work not with any other being. -Eva Hesse detail The Brooklyn Museum is currently showing Eva Hesse Spectres 1960 and some of the images included in this post will be on view. The exhibit offers an often overlooked aspect of the great sculptor's artistic output and shows her to be an interesting, formidable and influential painter. Read the NY Times article here . The exhibition will continue through January 8.