Skip to main content

In Process With Sabine Tress

Today our In Process series takes a look at Cologne based painter, Sabine Tress. 
Tress was born in 1968 in Ulm, Germany. She studied painting at the Ecole Nationale Superieure des Beaux-Arts in Paris. Since she obtained a Diplome des Arts Plastiques in 1994 Tress has worked as a painter and maintained studios in London and Berlin. She has lived and worked in Cologne since 2004.

Here Sabine gives a look at the development of a recent work, My Beautiful Valentine.









Artist Statement:

My work is more and more based on experimenting. It evolves through the working process which leaves a lot of room for changes and surprises. The piece “My beautiful Valentine” is one of my latest paintings and it is quite big, 220x200cm. I wanted to make the best of it and was very excited when I started. The more bits I added the more it became apparent that a format as big as this also needs something substantial. In the last couple of months I also started using oil paint as well as acrylics and this did not make it easier to finish the piece. I wanted it to be light and open and at the same time bold and impressive. It´s also very tricky because although I want to experiment I also want harmony in the painting and finish it quickly. I had to change everything again by painting over the multi coloured structure. I then only used red tones mostly and just a bit of green. It´s become quite fleshy and alive but is still fairly balanced. I am happy with it! But I always think that I could do better next time, be more bold, take more risks, have no fear. Maybe this is why I think that I will be painting for a long long time to come as there is always the next piece and a new challenge.

- Sabine Tress





My Beautiful Valentine, 2013, acrylic, oil, and spray paint on canvas, 200 x 220 cm.

Sabine Tress in her studio in Cologne, Germany, 2013.

Comments

markcreegan said…
woah! Lots o change! Love this series! Please more!

Popular posts from this blog

Retrospective: Sylvester Stallone - Paintings 1975 - 2015

Sylvester Stallone, Untitled (Michael Jackson) , 2010 Real Love: Paintings 1975 - 2015 Opened on May 16th Musée d'Art Moderne et d'Art Contemporaine Place Yves Klein 06364 Nice cedex 4 For more information visit artnet news .

Franz Kline: In Color

Franz Kline (1910-1962) is often pigeonholed as a "black and white" painter. Above is a selection of work by the Ab-Ex master in which color merges with gesture and at times takes center stage.

The Painter Eva Hesse

The hell with them all. Paint yourself out, through and through, it will come by you alone. You must come to terms with your own work not with any other being. -Eva Hesse detail The Brooklyn Museum is currently showing Eva Hesse Spectres 1960 and some of the images included in this post will be on view. The exhibit offers an often overlooked aspect of the great sculptor's artistic output and shows her to be an interesting, formidable and influential painter. Read the NY Times article here . The exhibition will continue through January 8.