Skip to main content

A Studio Visit With Ravenna Taylor




Here you will find a photo essay of my recent visit to the Lambertville, New Jersey studio of Ravenna Taylor.
Ravenna also maintains her own blog, Lagoon, that you can visit here.











Ravenna Taylor in her studio. Lambertville, NJ 2012.

From the artist's statement: 

Visual sensation stirs my attention to perception and thought; as emotion and thought impact senses and perceptions, my curiosity engages. My imagery derives from such observations, the dovetails and overlaps of lived experience.

My paintings chronicle my choices; to choose is to begin, to be alive, to be human. Several of these pieces began as other works I’d thought were finished, but which I turned back into beginnings. I’m calling this assembly of work “re: Vision,” to disclose the revisiting, and refer to my preoccupations with our powers of perception and thought.

I compose my pictorial abstractions to excite associations. While nature’s phenomena inform the paintings, our human nature provides the long warp on which I weave. I have some favored subjects and allusions to arrange, like Morandi’s bottles. Among them figure time, games, measures, maps, reflections and shadows. Artistic influences range widely, from Mughal miniatures to Modernism. I delight in color, harmony, patterns, and ambiguities. I construct and destroy, obscure and clarify; I celebrate choice, and our humanity.

















Ravenna's work is currently on view in the online exhibition Ravenna Taylor: Re-Vision at Galerie Cerulean here.
The exhibit will be on view through April 8.

Comments

James Erikson said…
Nice studio visit. Beautiful studio and work, Ravenna.
Ravenna Taylor said…
Thank you, Paul, and thank you, James -- It's fun for me to see the studio through Paul's eyes!
What a beautiful, large, and inspiring studio! I love the photograph of the painting resting on the little stool, and on the drift wood beside it. Lovely!
Jay Zerbe said…
wow! what a great studio space! and so many beautiful paintings. thanks for the photos paul! looks wonderful ravenna.

Popular posts from this blog

Retrospective: Sylvester Stallone - Paintings 1975 - 2015

Sylvester Stallone, Untitled (Michael Jackson) , 2010 Real Love: Paintings 1975 - 2015 Opened on May 16th Musée d'Art Moderne et d'Art Contemporaine Place Yves Klein 06364 Nice cedex 4 For more information visit artnet news .

Franz Kline: In Color

Franz Kline (1910-1962) is often pigeonholed as a "black and white" painter. Above is a selection of work by the Ab-Ex master in which color merges with gesture and at times takes center stage.

The Painter Eva Hesse

The hell with them all. Paint yourself out, through and through, it will come by you alone. You must come to terms with your own work not with any other being. -Eva Hesse detail The Brooklyn Museum is currently showing Eva Hesse Spectres 1960 and some of the images included in this post will be on view. The exhibit offers an often overlooked aspect of the great sculptor's artistic output and shows her to be an interesting, formidable and influential painter. Read the NY Times article here . The exhibition will continue through January 8.