Skip to main content

Gary Hume @ Matthew Marks Gallery






From the artist's statement:

I painted them as history paintings, the killing of Osama Bin Laden. That moment, that one second, in American history. One is of Obama. Another is of Angela Merkel; another one of George Bush, but they don’t look like them at all; another one is of a ‘Z’ that looks like a bit of a barn door. One day I’m in the studio looking at them thinking, you’re absolutely kidding me. This just looks like a bunch of balloons going across a field. When I was painting them I was thinking of Rembrandt and Franz Hals, and the paintings have got nothing in them of Rembrandt or Hals. I’d finished with the painting of the horse. I’m looking at the seven paintings thinking I like them but they’re all rubbish, because I’ve set out to make this vast history painting suite and it just looks like anxiety, and a horse. Anxiety and the horse. That’s exactly what they are. That’s all right. Then the paintings could live.






Gary Hume: Anxiety and the Horse
Through June 23, 2012
Matthew Marks Gallery
523 W 24th Street
New York, NY 10001

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Retrospective: Sylvester Stallone - Paintings 1975 - 2015

Sylvester Stallone, Untitled (Michael Jackson) , 2010 Real Love: Paintings 1975 - 2015 Opened on May 16th Musée d'Art Moderne et d'Art Contemporaine Place Yves Klein 06364 Nice cedex 4 For more information visit artnet news .

Franz Kline: In Color

Franz Kline (1910-1962) is often pigeonholed as a "black and white" painter. Above is a selection of work by the Ab-Ex master in which color merges with gesture and at times takes center stage.

The Painter Eva Hesse

The hell with them all. Paint yourself out, through and through, it will come by you alone. You must come to terms with your own work not with any other being. -Eva Hesse detail The Brooklyn Museum is currently showing Eva Hesse Spectres 1960 and some of the images included in this post will be on view. The exhibit offers an often overlooked aspect of the great sculptor's artistic output and shows her to be an interesting, formidable and influential painter. Read the NY Times article here . The exhibition will continue through January 8.