Skip to main content

R.I.P. Cy Twombly

Comments

brian edmonds said…
He was a painters painter. I was fortunate enough to visit the Rothko Chapel and Twombly building a few years back. A religious experience of sorts.
Paul Behnke said…
I haven't seen a lot of Twombly's work in person but I made regular pilgrimages to the 50 Days at Iliam.
lookinaroundbob said…
My favorite room at PMA. The audacity.
brian edmonds said…
It really makes an impact. I had not seen much at all and then the trip to Houston and to Chicago to see their show a few years ago. Someone had commented that he was the first great graffiti artist yesterday. I had never thought of this "scribbles" and dialogue as graffiti but you could certainly argue that point. He is one of those artist that, to me, has his own sort of gravity. Where do you think he ranks among the greats? Do you think he deserves the accolades showered upon him?
Paul Behnke said…
Hughes addresses the Graffiti thing a bit here...

http://hi.baidu.com/onecuptea/blog/item/88c0dbb1e3751c53092302e9.html
lookinaroundbob said…
I think he benefited from both being the real thing-New York school biggie (especially in his later years) and having the super international marketing system of the last 20 years working for him. Lots of big drips and mythology.

Popular posts from this blog

Retrospective: Sylvester Stallone - Paintings 1975 - 2015

Sylvester Stallone, Untitled (Michael Jackson) , 2010 Real Love: Paintings 1975 - 2015 Opened on May 16th Musée d'Art Moderne et d'Art Contemporaine Place Yves Klein 06364 Nice cedex 4 For more information visit artnet news .

Franz Kline: In Color

Franz Kline (1910-1962) is often pigeonholed as a "black and white" painter. Above is a selection of work by the Ab-Ex master in which color merges with gesture and at times takes center stage.

The Painter Eva Hesse

The hell with them all. Paint yourself out, through and through, it will come by you alone. You must come to terms with your own work not with any other being. -Eva Hesse detail The Brooklyn Museum is currently showing Eva Hesse Spectres 1960 and some of the images included in this post will be on view. The exhibit offers an often overlooked aspect of the great sculptor's artistic output and shows her to be an interesting, formidable and influential painter. Read the NY Times article here . The exhibition will continue through January 8.