Skip to main content

Julie Torres: Close Encounters @ Riverside Art Museum

Image courtesy of the artist. Julie Torres (C)

I like to explore the area between what's private and what's exposed. I enjoy paintings that are secretive and a little unclear. I try to never think when I'm painting because, if I do, I'll ruin it.
-Julie Torres from the artist's statement.

From the press release:

Torres’ works are visually potent, portable exercises in color and composition, and of the psychologically-charged underpinnings that they explore. The works on view at RAM can be divided into two groups: composite works, known as her “puzzle paintings,” which consist of grids of individual works on paper that serve both as their own works and inform parts of the larger whole, and individual works on paper. Torres’ unbridled experimentation and expression conjures relations to Modernist artists Philip Guston and Eva Hesse’s lesser known works on paper, while achieving a freshness that still relates to contemporary movements. 

Julie Torres / CLOSE ENCOUNTERS
January 5 - April 5, 2012

3425 Mission Inn Ave.
Riverside, CA 92501

Comments

brian edmonds said…
Her paintings have a nice vibrancy. The repetitiveness, without being redundant, sucks you in.

Popular posts from this blog

Retrospective: Sylvester Stallone - Paintings 1975 - 2015

Sylvester Stallone, Untitled (Michael Jackson) , 2010 Real Love: Paintings 1975 - 2015 Opened on May 16th Musée d'Art Moderne et d'Art Contemporaine Place Yves Klein 06364 Nice cedex 4 For more information visit artnet news .

Franz Kline: In Color

Franz Kline (1910-1962) is often pigeonholed as a "black and white" painter. Above is a selection of work by the Ab-Ex master in which color merges with gesture and at times takes center stage.

The Painter Eva Hesse

The hell with them all. Paint yourself out, through and through, it will come by you alone. You must come to terms with your own work not with any other being. -Eva Hesse detail The Brooklyn Museum is currently showing Eva Hesse Spectres 1960 and some of the images included in this post will be on view. The exhibit offers an often overlooked aspect of the great sculptor's artistic output and shows her to be an interesting, formidable and influential painter. Read the NY Times article here . The exhibition will continue through January 8.