Skip to main content

An Interview for Figure / Ground

(from L to R) Bobbie’s Bluing, Magenta Vampyr, and Young Lochinvar.
Photo by Brian Edmonds 



Brian Edmonds recently interviewed me for the e-journal, Figure/Ground.


"Most of the colors I use come straight from the tube or jar. I do occasionally mix a color if I need something specific. But in any mixing a certain amount of purity is lost.  When I use colors I’m looking for a striking clash that makes my compositions seem anxious, and my forms antagonistic to one another.  I don’t enjoy mixing color, taking notes or acting as a scientist in the studio. I’m for paint, the act of painting and directness."

Read the full interview here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Retrospective: Sylvester Stallone - Paintings 1975 - 2015

Sylvester Stallone, Untitled (Michael Jackson) , 2010 Real Love: Paintings 1975 - 2015 Opened on May 16th Musée d'Art Moderne et d'Art Contemporaine Place Yves Klein 06364 Nice cedex 4 For more information visit artnet news .

Franz Kline: In Color

Franz Kline (1910-1962) is often pigeonholed as a "black and white" painter. Above is a selection of work by the Ab-Ex master in which color merges with gesture and at times takes center stage.

The Painter Eva Hesse

The hell with them all. Paint yourself out, through and through, it will come by you alone. You must come to terms with your own work not with any other being. -Eva Hesse detail The Brooklyn Museum is currently showing Eva Hesse Spectres 1960 and some of the images included in this post will be on view. The exhibit offers an often overlooked aspect of the great sculptor's artistic output and shows her to be an interesting, formidable and influential painter. Read the NY Times article here . The exhibition will continue through January 8.