Saturday, September 21, 2013

In Process w/ Phillip J. Mellen

Phillip J. Mellen in his studio in Taunton, MA, 2013



Today in my In Process series I take a look at the development of two paintings by Massachusetts based painter, Phillip J. Mellen.
Mellen combines additive and subtractive gestures to build up the surface and add depth to his work. Bold colors, solid forms, drips and spatters allude to the speed and confidence, often associated with Abstract Expressionism, while allowing a more contemporary Pop sensibility to take center stage.   

Let's take a look at the development of two smaller works of acrylic and latex on foam entitled You have no new messages and I blew out all of the candles in one go.  



1.

2.

3.

4.

5.

6.



Artist's Statement:

My paintings deal with a heavy reliance on my compositional decisions and the behaviors of paint and shape interaction. Through the process of making art, the act and the final image, I also explore the play between object, illusion, decoration, spatial balance and color interaction.  I find myself taking a pro-active approach toward working within the languages of the well-established abstract tradition. I work with this idea and format to explore and to expand upon its boundaries. In this experiment, I often fabricate my paintings into three-dimensional constructions. As my work progresses, I am increasingly interested in observing how my work flows between these ways of working.  Through these practices, my inspiration grows, and my work continues to evolve and become new.




You have no new messages, 2013, acrylic and latex on foam, 24 x 16 in.

I blew out all of the candles in one go, 2013, acrylic and latex on foam, 24 x 18 in.




To view more of Mellen's work visit his website, www.phillipjmellen.com.

Mellon also presents a podcast of artist interviews aimed at a better understanding of contemporary working methods and concerns at Ahtcast.




*all images © the artist.

1 comment:

davidtmiller said...

Very nice attention for a very deserving painter!