Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Jon Schueler and the Sound of Sleat

Available here.




I am a bad father, a bad stepfather,
a bad husband, an indifferent friend,
a confused and disloyal lover.
Only one thing: I am a good painter.
And I had damn well become a far better
one to make up for all the rest.



Jon Schueler, 1973, photograph by Magda Salvesen (c) Jon Schueler Estate (in his studio in Mallaig, Scotland)


Available here.




For more information please visit jonschueler.com

I am reminded of Picasso, saying "I do not seek, I discover."... He's a lucky man. I like the assurance with which he is able to make that statement. Schueler says, "I do not discover, I seek." That's the story of my painting. An eternal search. I never know precisely what I am looking for. I have faith that it is there, that I shall discover it, that I shall reveal this truth -- but I don't know when it shall be revealed.
-from the journal of Jon Schueler
Taken from the article :

Self Portrait of an Experimental Painter by David Galenson


*all images: © 1999-2011 Estate of Jon Schueler 







2 comments:

brian edmonds said...

So you could definitely recommend this book? From the description on the publisher site it seems very interesting. I knew of the name but only on the fringes. Kinda like William Scott. Man I love some of Scott's work. Especially in person.

Paul Behnke said...

Yes, it's good. I first read it in art school and just bought a copy of it recently. He's a painter's painter. His attitude toward the art world of his time kind of reminds me of Clyfford Still's---

I like Scott too. Especially the '50's and '60's stuff.